Help us Save Indian History and Heritage
Many of us living in the USA and Canada today have children and grandchildren who have grown up without a deep connection to the rich history and heritage of India. It has been our mission to help expose this culture to our children and introduce them to brilliant works like the Ramayana and courageous leaders like Swami Dayanand.
In an effort to engage our children and share our wonderful history, we have decided to run a poster contest for children to learn about and promote our History and Heritage. Children will get a chance to research and uncover an important topic (see below), and share that learning by preparing a work of art.
Details: The contest will be for children ages 4-15 divided into three age groups (4-7, 8-11, 12-15), based in North America. Contestants can choose one topic of the following:
We have the following three prizes in each age group:
- First prize: $500
- Second prize: $300
- Third prize: $200
Grand Overall Prize: $1000 for the best poster based on Facebook voting (more details to come). There will also be a number of consolation prizes for the children.
Complete details are available on our website: www.swamidayanand.org. Last date for submission of your poster is: July 4, 2017.
Please encourage your children to participate in this poster contest and learn about Indian History and Heritage. Please share this information with your family and friends.
ELIGIBILITY: The Swami Dayanand Indian History and Heritage Poster contest ("Contest") is open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who are the age of majority in their state of residence and who are parents or legal guardians of children between the ages of four (4) and fifteen (15) years of age at the time of entering (collectively "participant"). Eligible entries are those created by the participant's child ("Applicant"). Contest subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws.
Contest Rules (Terms & Condition)
1. ELIGIBILITY. The Indian History & Heritage - Poster contest ("Contest") is open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who are the age of majority in their state of residence and who are parents or legal guardians of children between the ages of four (4) and fifteen (15) years of age at the time of entering (collectively "participant"). Eligible entries are those created by the participant's child ("Applicant"). Contest subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws.
2. HOW TO ENTER. The three-step submission process is as follows:
a. Obtain and complete an official Entry Form available for free download online through www.swamidayanand.org.
b. Submit hand-drawn (not digital) original artwork ("Artwork") in color created by Applicant on paper sized 11x17 inches.
c. Artwork may be done on any type of paper within the recommended sizes using artistic medium such as paint (watercolors, acrylic, etc.), markers, crayons, and colored pencils. Artwork, together with a completed Entry Form, shall be collectively referred to as the "Submission." The Entry Form must include the name, home mailing address, telephone number (including area code), date of birth and other required information listed on the document for the Participant and Applicant (email address is optional).
d. Send Submission in its entirety via regular U.S. Postal Service mail in an envelope with proper postage postmarked no later than July 4, 2017.
Swami Dayanand Education Foundation
Attn. Indian History & Heritage - Poster contest
1600 Hwy 6, Ste 480
Sugar Land TX 77478, USA
e. All Submissions must be received by regular U.S. Postal Service mail no later than July 4, 2017 or will be deemed ineligible. No limit on the number of Submissions per person. However, each Artwork must be different from other submitted ones and must be accompanied by a separate official Entry Form, all of which must be mailed separate from other Submissions. Submissions become sole property of the Foundation and will not be returned.
3. ARTWORK REQUIREMENTS. Artwork must meet the following requirements to be eligible:
a. Artwork must be an original illustration in color hand-drawn (not digital) on paper. Artwork not meeting these requirements is ineligible for consideration in the Contest. Artwork should be accompanied by a written description Indian History & Heritage - Poster contest.
b. Artwork may not contain content that is lewd, obscene, sexually explicit, pornographic, disparaging, defamatory, libelous, or otherwise containing inappropriate content or objectionable material as determined by Foundation in its sole and unfettered discretion.
c. Artwork must be an original artwork created solely by the Applicant and must not infringe any copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity or other intellectual rights of any person or entity.
d. If Artwork contains an image of any recognizable persons, on behalf of the Applicant, the Participant is responsible for obtaining, prior to sending the Submission, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of Artwork by Foundation as set forth in these Official Rules. If an image of a recognizable person appearing in any Artwork is under the age of majority in their state, country or province of residence, the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
e. Artwork must not contain any personally identifiable information of any person other than Participant or Applicant. Should Artwork include personally identifiable information of Participant or Applicant, Participant acknowledges and agrees that such information will be disclosed publicly and Participant is solely responsible for any consequences thereof on behalf of the Applicant.
f. Artwork must not contain any commercial content or logos other than that of Foundation.
g. Artwork may not have been previously published or won previous awards.
h. Artwork may not contain any material or elements that are not owned/ created by Participant or Applicant and/or that are subject to the rights of any third parties.
By submitting a Submission, the participant agrees that Artwork by the Applicant confirms to these Official Rules and that the Foundation, in its sole discretion, may disqualify the Submission for any reason at any time, including if it determines, in its sole discretion, that the fails to confirm to these Official Rules in any way or otherwise contains unacceptable content as determined by Foundation, in its sole discretion.
Also, by submitting a Submission, on behalf of the Applicant, Participant hereby grants permission for Artwork to be posted online by Foundation on its website and social media networks, and otherwise used for commercial or non-commercial purposes. Participant agrees that Released Parties (as defined below) are not responsible for any unauthorized use of the Applicant's Artwork by any third parties. Released Parties do not guarantee the posting of any Artwork by the Applicant. Participant agrees that they will not use the Applicant's Artwork for any other purpose, including, without limitation, posting of the Applicant's Artwork to any online social networks without the express consent of Foundation in each instance.
4. JUDGING. All eligible Artworks received by the Foundation will be divided by age of the Applicant into three (3) age categories (4-7 years old; 8-11 years old; and 12-15 years old; each a "Category") and judged by a panel of qualified judges based on the following criteria:
a. Execution of Concept (33%) : Does the work express its theme and concept in an understandable way?
b. Uniqueness (33%): Is the Artwork a product of the Applicant's unique imagination?
c. Artistry (33%):
- Is the design of the work solid?
- Are colors in balance?
- Does it have enough detail?
The top three Applicants whose Artwork receives the highest scores in each Category will be deemed contest winner. In the event of a tie, the Artwork among the tied Applicants with the highest score in Artistry will be declared the National Contest Winner. In the unlikely event of a further tie, the tied Applicant with the highest score in Uniqueness will be declared the Contest Winner and in the event of a further tie, the tied Applicant with the highest score in Execution of Concept will be declared the contest Winner. In the event that a tie remains after application of all tie-breaker methods, the tied entries will be re-judged until the tie is broken. The Foundation reserves the right to choose fewer than the stated number of Contest Winners if, in its sole discretion, it does not receive a sufficient number of eligible and qualified Artworks.
5. GENERAL CONDITIONS. By participating, each Participant agrees: (a) to abide by these Official Rules and decisions of Foundation and judges, which shall be final and binding in all respects relating to the contests.
6. USE OF ALL ARTWORKS. By submitting a Submission, each Participant hereby grants license to use, publish, exploit, modify, edit, transmit and distribute the Artwork, including, without limitation, except where prohibited by law, the names and likenesses of any persons or locations embodied therein, and Participant's and Applicant's names and likenesses in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, worldwide, in perpetuity for Foundation advertising and promotional purposes without compensation, permission or notification to entrant or any third party.
7. OWNERSHIP OF ARTWORKS BY CONTEST WINNERS. By accepting a Prize, Contest Winner agree that the Artwork will be deemed a "Work Made for Hire" under the Copyright laws of the United States. If it cannot be so deemed, then the Contest Winner irrevocably assigns and transfers to Foundation all of his/her right, title and interest in and to his/her Artwork, including all but not limited to all copyright and trademark rights which he or she may have, in the United States and worldwide, therein, for consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged. The Contest Winner hereby waives in favor of Foundation, all rights of "Droit Moral" or "Moral Rights of Authors" or any similar rights or principles of law that winner may now or later have to their Artwork. Foundation reserves the right to alter, change or modify the winning Artwork, in its sole discretion.
8. GOVERNING LAW/JURISDICTION. The Contest and these Official Rules are governed by and shall be construed in accordance with the substantive laws of the State of California (as distinguished from the choice of law rules) and the United States of America applicable to contracts made and performed entirely in California and where the relevant contacts are with such state. Except where prohibited, as a condition of participating in this Contest, each Participant agrees that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, the Trip, or the determination of a Contest Winner shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action. A Contest Winner further agrees that in any cause of action, the Released Parties entire liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the Contest, and in no event shall the Released parties be liable for attorneys' fees and/or expert's fees and costs. Participant waives the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages and Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or indirect damages and participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
9. MISCELLANEOUS. Released Parties are not responsible for lost, late incomplete, damaged, inaccurate, illegible, stolen, delayed, misdirected, undelivered, postage-due Submissions; or for lost, interrupted or unavailable network, server, internet Service Provider (ISP), Contest site, website, or other connections, availability or accessibility or miscommunications or failed computer, satellite, telephone or cable transmissions, lines, or technical failure or jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions, lines, or computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures or difficulties, or other errors or difficulties of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, computer, network, typographical, printing or otherwise relating to or in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, errors or difficulties which may occur in connection with the administration of the Contest, the processing or judging of Artworks, the announcement of the Contest Winners or in any Contest-related materials. Released Parties are also not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by any website or its users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest. Released Parties are not responsible for injury or damage to any person's computer related to or resulting from participating in this Contest or downloading materials from or use of the Contest site. Persons who tamper with or abuse any aspect of the Contest or Contest site, who act in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner or who are in violation of these Official Rules, will be disqualified and all associated Entries will be void. Should any portion of the Contest be, In Foundation's sole opinion, compromised in any way, in the sole opinion of the Foundation, corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness, Foundation reserves the right at its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Contest and, if terminated, at its discretion, select the potential Contest Winners from all eligible, non-suspect Submissions received prior to action taken using the judging procedure outlined above.
10. CAUTION. Any attempt to deliberately damage the website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Poster Contest may be in violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such an attempt be made, Foundation reserves the right to seek damages and other remedies (including attorney fees) from any such individual to the fullest extent of the law, including criminal prosecution.
11. LIST OF WINNERS. The list of winners will be displayed on the website www.swamidayanand.org.